Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bed and Dress

Okay. As promised, here's the pic of the bed. It was a whole $10.00 - ten dollars - for the bed. Very nice bed, very comfy. And cheap! We found it at an estate sale that really didn't care - they just wanted to get rid of stuff! We expected it would be 50-100 dollars, but the owner said ten, and we looked at each other and said "yes, please." It's nice, and in good shape - just a few chips in the veneer. Things like this are why I like estate sales. It's a little creepy sometimes, sure, going through the belongings of a dead person - or worse, some poor soul being moved to a nursing home or assisted living facility who sits and watches you go through their stuff. I don't think I could sit there and watch. It would be too hard.


And... the dress. A friend threw a League of Extroardinary Gentlemen party. So.. I went as Lady Blakeney, (wife of the Scarlet Pimpernel), who was part of one of the Leagues. Here I am. My hair isn't done and I don't have my feathers, but most of the rest of it is right. A modified chemise de la reine. The sleeves are actually attached to the overdress, because I was feeling lazy and it was for a costume party. The entire thing is made of muslin (period correct), and some fabric that I've had for a few years... at least two... just sitting around. It shades from coppery to goldy and back, and looked pretty good. Somewhere there's a pic of the front of the dress, with corset showing. :)
So... that's the update so far. More later.

No comments: